Links 2 Learning
Links to Learning is a mixed gender program supporting young people in grades 6 to 10 with re-engagement with their education, development of resilience and social skills which all leads to an increased sense of general well-being.
Following the overwhelming success of the pilot program involving BackTrack and the region’s schools whereby young people identified as being at risk of not completing their schooling are identified and involved in initiatives in re-engaging them with their education, BackTrack has been awarded the Links to Learning Program for 2015 and 2016 in the region.
Two separate programs are being conducted under the Links to Learning within BackTrack – one is on site at Walcha and Guyra Central Schools and the other supports young people from Armidale High School, Duval High School, Drummond Primary School and Uralla Central School at the BackTrack premises.
Students are provided with learning opportunities directed at improving their education, employment, social and life skills.
* Training opportunities for the girls and boys cover a broad range of areas allowing for individual interest and pursuit of employment.
* Cadet training with Rural Fire Service
* Orienteering and bush skills
* Partnership with University of New England in introduction of career pathways and alternative vocations
* Art workshops with a resident artist at BackTrack exploring and developing skills in a range or artistic mediums.
* Power and hand tools and basic welding have also been provided through the Iron Man Welders Shed.
* Dog training and animal care in association with the Paws Up Team.